About Me

My photo
I work at Applebees in Mays landing. I just moved down to Galloway from Medford, in an apartment around the beginning of September with my 2 best friends. I have about 3 semesters left at Stockton and then I'm graduating with a B.A. in Sociology. I made this page for my Anthropological Field Methods class to do research on two adolescents for ten weeks.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Drugs and Working Issues...

I was amazed at how much had happened in the second week of my research. First we will begin with Jamie, whom has major anxiety with her public speaking. I believe she's extremely insecure, but that's beyond the point. After her experience with stealing merchandise, the detective let her off pretty easy as long as she doesn't have anymore bad reports. Considering she's under the age of 18, he explained that she pretty much just had to return it all, and if she was older than 18 she would have been put in jail. I believe the intent of the detective was to intimidate and scare her, which is exactly what happened. I honestly do not believe she will every steal a penny from anywhere again! Back to her anxiety, she is prescribed to a pretty high dose of anxiety medicine which she takes only before speaches or when she's feeling anxious. This past week, her whole bottle was stolen out of her purse. After the whole stealing issue, her parents were unsure whether to believe they were stolen or she had stole them. However, her mother took it into her own hands and went to her daughter (Jamie's) friends mother, and explained the situation. Right away, the other mother grabbed a bottle of pills that had Jamie's name on them that were found in Jamie's "friends" room. Her mother explained that her daughter had been acting odd for the past couple of days and so went through her bag and found them. Jamie seemed to be honest and firm about the pills and very upset about the situation. From my first weeks research, I did believe that she is trying very hard to fit in, but the way she explains the situations to me, it seems to be the opposite. I will have to research much more on her to find out what is really going on in her mind.

As for Jenn, her week seemed pretty normal. I'm afraid that she is confused about what's important in her life not socially, but preoccupied with her job rather than her school work. Like I said, she is an extremely intelligent girl but is becoming maybe a little too conserned with her job at the moment. While talking with her multiple times, her job seemed to be very overwhelming and bringing down her school grades. Normally a straight A student, is beginning to get C's because it's hard for her to balance her hobby, horse back riding, her job, and her school work. She is a waitress at an senior citizen community, and it's hard for her to struggle trying to fit it all in. Her boss seems to think that this job is a career, and won't understand that she needs less hours to fit everything in. She was extremely upset Monday and Thursday because her customers were very rude and she ended up spilling tomato soup and grape juice all over, which was embarassing as well. I'm trying to help her understand that the job she has is just temperary and it's nothing to get too overwhelmed with, and that school work is much more important. Next week I hope both their weeks get better and they begin to understand what's really important for their future.

1 comment:

Professor Rubenstein said...

You have a good eye and ear Kari. For ease of reading break your posts into smaller paragraphs.

The informants seem interesting and you have some good ideas.

Jamie and anxiety: tread lightly--see if it normal teen pressure. If something deeper, just work on impact in life--don;t try and psychoanalyze her.

Jenn: work on $, career v. school. What is behind her rejection of school?