About Me

My photo
I work at Applebees in Mays landing. I just moved down to Galloway from Medford, in an apartment around the beginning of September with my 2 best friends. I have about 3 semesters left at Stockton and then I'm graduating with a B.A. in Sociology. I made this page for my Anthropological Field Methods class to do research on two adolescents for ten weeks.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Call for Help...

I'm beginning to feel I'm a little behind with the postings but I have many notes and an extremely good relationship with both of my informants at this point, especially Jamie, who is very comfortably with me now and Jenn is beginning to open up to me. At first, my one informant, Jamie, was afraid that I would tell her parents personal situations in which she told me, now that I've opened up to her and told her many of my experiences throughout high school, and even at this point in my life, she has similiar situations and views that I do, and she she talks to me on a regular basis. For example, on Sunday she called me crying about a very emotional occurance that happened on Saturday night in which she couldn't talk to anybody else about. She was very "wasted" and proceeded to tell me that the party in which she was at, the parents were away, and there was heavy drinking going on. She ended up getting bullied by a fellow classmate, whom was a male, and was pushed into a pool, and then he proceeded to abuse her. She didn't want to be a "rat" and report it to anybody, and so she chose to keep her mouth shut and pretend it never happened. She was afraid of the reaction of her peers if she had told anybody, and also she was afraid that they would all get in trouble for underage drinking. I told her that the guy isn't worth being this upset about that just know not to get so drunk and stay away from him, and she said "Kar, you don't know what it's like to be punched by a guy it's never happened to you and so you don't know what it feels like". And she was right, I don't know what it feels like and at my age I would have called the police right away! However, if I was a junior in high school, and the guy who did it was a big football player, I honestly probably wouldn't have. It made me feel helpless for her to tell me this information because there was nothing I could do about it. She said repeatedly that she didn't do anything to trigger his explosion, and that he was just going through a rough time in his life and that's probably how he reacted when he mixed his anger with alcohol. Now, a few days have gone by and at first everybody was talking about it but she said it's slowly becoming the pas, which she's happy about.

Jenn, my other informant seems to be handling her school, work, and horseback riding much better. She's a very busy girl, and so I don't have much time to talk or meet with her, but when we do talk she gives me her basic information, not too personal yet, but I'm working on it. She talks about the thrill of just being able to drive to school in the morning! She's had her liscence for a little over a year now, but she said that is what she looks foward to everyday when she goes to school. She hasn't had a boyfriend yet, but she has had some crushes. When I talk to her, I feel like I am talking with an adult. She has so many ambitions and goals, and it seems that she is total opposite of Jamie. However, when I meet with them all together, Jenn seems to have the same personality as Jamie. They talk about boys, and "oh my god did you see what so and so was wearing today", and gossip, etc. They both have every pair of uggz there is just in different colors, and they have the same fashion style which is Abercrombie, Hollister, etc. Both of their myspace pages seem to have the same design, besides Jenn's is more quotes and backgrounds, while Jamie's is made up of pictures of her and her friends. I'm really enjoying this research and have a good time talking and hanging out with them! Although, when Jenn is with her other friends, she'll only text me and when I call her she'll answer and say "i gotta go ill call you later" and hangs up, which is odd to me, but I will find out why she does that and why she's so personal about some situations.

1 comment:

Professor Rubenstein said...

great on rapport building but a shocking incident. Not being a "rat" is undestandable, but you can also see how "date rape" goes unreported.

This was pretty bad--we'll see where it leads.

Very nice on Jenn as well. yes they seem similar: two "typical" girls,, going through some "stuff."

Again, very good posting.